So why become a wedding planner? The wedding industry is seen as a glamorous industry and, many people after planning their own wedding, think they can become a wedding planner as it doesn’t seem that hard. If this is what you think, there is no point continuing as we will not be the best match.
Wedding planning is hard work. Yes, it’s rewarding and the feeling you get when you see your client overjoyed is indescribable but it is nothing like planning your own wedding. The long hours, the researching suppliers and venues, site visits, constantly being creative, innovative and effective. You will have to work unsociable hours. You will need to give up your weekends, especially over the summer. But there is a lot to benefit from too.
Ask yourself ‘Why become a wedding planner?’. Answer it truthfully then continue on.
A Few Good Reasons
- You want to own a business that you can call yours and have the motivation and stamina it takes.
- Love being creative and the wedding industry fascinates and excites you.
- Long hours, working weekends, especially over the summer do not affect you.
- A true passion for weddings.
- You have worked in the events space for someone else but want to start your own company.
Obviously this is not all of them but there is a pattern. You are open to hard working, long hours and giving up your weekends. You have a deep passion for the wedding industry and have a creative streak to match.
Not So Good Reasons
- You planned your own wedding. It was great and wasn’t that hard at all!
- Getting out of bed in a morning is hard work. Having your own business means you can lie in if you feel like it.
- You want to do it as a hobby.
- ‘It can’t be that hard to run a business. I can work when I want to.’
- Think wedding planning is all about attending amazing weddings.
As before, you can see a pattern. If you are not prepared to work hard, put in the effort and sacrifice a few things, this is not the career for you. It is so much more than just attending amazing weddings. You have to make them amazing from scratch, dealing with all sorts of clients and briefs.
I LOVE being a Wedding Planner
For me, the best part about being a wedding planner is that I help people bring their dreams to live. Their are not many careers where you can say that! Seeing how happy they are when they see it for the first time. Showing you understood and listened to their desires, their wishes. It really is satisfying knowing you made a difference.
It’s for the same reason I started Training by Mary Cushen. The love for helping people in need. Helping others have the best possible start to their business and watching it grow in to something amazing. This way, I’m helping people to help others, so more people benefit. It also helps to raise the standard in wedding planning. As it’s not a regulated industry (although sometimes I wish it was), now and again people pop up thinking they know everything but know nothing. They charge next to nothing, impacting on the rest of us and deliver a sub standard service giving planners a bad reputation.
If you are looking to start a wedding planning business, why not have a look at my services and see how I could help you. I’m an award-winning wedding planner so you are in safe hands. Client experience is my first priority – Both my clients and yours!
Why become a wedding planner is the view of Mary Cushen only.